2024/09/20

  The iPhone 16 was finally unveiled  9/10/2024, and I’m particularly interested in the iPhone 16 Pro. My main focus is on battery life and AI capabilities, but it looks like I might be a bit disappointed. The improvements in battery life aren't exclusive to the iPhone 16 Pro series. Instead, the entire lineup now offers over 30 hours of video playback, which is a significant upgrade. This is great news for people who use their phones heavily for work every day—no more battery anxiety!

As for AI features in Chinese, those will have to wait until next year. So, my initial takeaway is that I’ll continue using my iPhone 8 Plus for another year and wait for the iPhone 17. The iPhone 16 uses the A18 chip built on TSMC’s second-generation 3nm process, which only brings incremental improvements. Next year, however, TSMC’s 2nm process should deliver substantial advancements. With enhanced power efficiency and AI performance, AI applications on smartphones will likely become far more noticeable. Unless my iPhone 8 Plus breaks within the next six months or my investments see significant growth (and I find myself with more disposable income), I don’t see a reason to upgrade just yet.

This is just my personal perspective. For those who prioritize photography and videography, the iPhone 16 Pro still offers plenty of reasons to upgrade. Remember, Apple’s strength lies in the user experience. It’s never just about price—it’s about the value the product brings. I do appreciate the new "Camera Control" feature. It shows Apple’s continued focus on user-friendliness and delivers real innovation in that regard.

Another product that caught my interest is the updated AirPods Pro 2, which will receive a firmware update this fall that transforms them into hearing aids and allows users to test for hearing issues. This is a valuable upgrade for current users.

The iPhone 16 officially launched in Taiwan on September 20th, and crowds have started to form at major retailers. As for how well it sells, let’s wait until next month to see.